Squash Casserole is actually summer season on a plate.
This simple facet dish has zucchini and yellow zucchini topped with a crunchy layer of breadcrumbs.
Fast to arrange and excellent for any meal, this dish could have everybody asking for seconds.
Components in a Pumpkin Casserole
Whereas some recipes comprise components and fillers like eggs and breadcrumbs, this pumpkin casserole recipe focuses on the pumpkin itself.
- Onion: Onion provides taste to this dish; stir in some garlic in case you like.
- Pumpkin: Recent yellow squash and zucchini are the celebs right here. Select ones which are agency and brightly coloured for the very best taste and texture.
- Roof: butter, seasoned bread crumbs, and cheddar cheese add an ideal crunchy topping to this recipe. Swap the breadcrumbs for Panko breadcrumbs or crushed Ritz crackers or pretzels to make a shortbread topping. Different cheeses like Gruyère or Monterey jack can be utilized on this recipe.
- Optionally available Dietary supplements: purple or inexperienced peppers, cheeses, garlic, tomatoes
Do it your approach
This yellow squash and zucchini casserole could be made to your desire for texture.
For a softer casserole, lower the zucchini a bit of thinner and, when sautéing it within the pan, prepare dinner it a bit of longer in order that it’s delicate and crispy, however a bit of softer.
For crunchy pumpkin, hold zucchini 1/4 thick. Be certain to not overcook.
Find out how to make pumpkin casserole
- Preparation: Slice the onion and pumpkin by the recipe under.
- To prepare dinner: Sauté the onion in butter and oil till wilted, then add the pumpkin and seasonings.
- To assemble: Place the cooked squash and onions in a greased casserole dish and canopy with a mix of breadcrumbs, melted butter and cheese.
- To roast: Bake the casserole dish within the oven till the squash is tender and the topping is golden brown, normally round 35 to 40 minutes. Get pleasure from sizzling!
- Place the squash and onions upright (upright on the sting) in a casserole dish. Simply put the onions within the pumpkin combination.
Buttered breadcrumbs prepare dinner shortly, so regulate the casserole dish. If crumbs are browned earlier than casserole is completed cooking, cowl loosely with aluminum foil.
Can or not it’s reheated?
Zucchini casserole tastes greatest when served contemporary from the oven, however after all it may be reheated.
Retailer leftover pumpkin casserole nicely lined within the fridge for as much as 4 days. The breadcrumbs will not be as crunchy, however the pumpkin itself will nonetheless style scrumptious!
reheat bake till piping sizzling (or you possibly can reheat within the microwave). Then activate the rooster aspect and place the heated casserole dish underneath the rooster for a couple of minutes of cooking time to re-sear the breadcrumbs. Higher but, make a brand new batch of crumbs and canopy the leftovers with them.
Zucchini casserole pairs nicely with nearly any meat essential course. Serve with roasted or grilled rooster, grilled ribs or hamburgers. It additionally goes very nicely with Salisbury steak or pork chops in a mushroom sauce.
Summer time vegetable accompaniments
Straightforward Pumpkin Casserole
Slices of tender zucchini and yellow squash meld with a crunchy breadcrumb topping for a dish so satisfying and filling you would even serve it as a starter.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Slice the squash/zucchini into ¼-inch slices.
In a big skillet over medium warmth, saute onion in butter and oil till delicate. Enhance the warmth to medium-high and add the squash, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook dinner for five to six minutes or simply till delicate and crispy.
In a greased 2 qt casserole dish, prepare squash and onions so squash is on its facet.
Mix breadcrumbs, cheeses and melted butter in a small dish. Sprinkle over pumpkin.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or till squash is tender.
- For a crispier squash, slice it thicker, for a softer squash, slice it thinner.
- To stop the pumpkin from releasing extra liquid, sauté it in olive oil till it softens a bit of.
Energy: 157 | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 4g | Fats: 8g | Saturated fats: 4g | Ldl cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 179mg | Potassium: 431mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 12257UI | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 1mg
Vitamin data supplied is an estimate and can differ based mostly on cooking strategies and types of components used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and images are copyrighted. Sharing this recipe is inspired and appreciated. It’s expressly forbidden to repeat and/or paste full recipes on any social community. Please see my photo usage policy here.